Thursday, June 18, 2009

Inspect What You Expect

I'm just back from vacation in Hawaii and had to share this customer service/sales gem.

In these tighter economic times, it’s been reported that restaurant business has fallen off considerably, as it's a discretionary expense. We witnessed a disproportionate amount of folks cooking at the resort on BBQ’s as witness to that.

One evening we called restaurant advertising with a full page ad in several local magazines, so they were spending money to win customers. On calling we were told to arrive by 7pm to avoid a wedding party they were hosting arriving at 7:45pm so we could get "good service". Good so far!

We arrive at 6:55pm and are told that there is nothing available and they have a wedding party coming. I reply that we were made aware of that and told to come at 7pm and we would be accommodated. At this point the "Greeter" proceeds to "tongue bash" me saying things like "what do you expect from me? Do you expect me to go tell the current diners to get up and leave?" And a few other choice things. I tried to explain that we called before coming there and what we were told. To which the "Greeter" said "well, too bad, there's nothing I can do for you". I'd already arrived at that conclusion and that restaurant lost a potential "lifetime" customer.

How's that for a ROI on expensive magazine advertising? Handled properly, we probably would have come back on another night, as we had several more to go. Be assured, never again and I will go out of my way to protect others from this restaurant.

Last thought. I'm often perplexed to distinguish "sales" from "service". Which of the two is the "Greeter" in? I'm of the belief it was "sales" since we never got thru to experience "service". What first impressions are your company and "sales force" /reception making with the market? Who and how are you checking on it? Inspect what you expect.

PS. I bet the owner spent hours reviewing and approving the full page ad. How much time was spent on the "Greeter"?

1 comment:

  1. That's pretty terrible service, yikes. I'm impressed that you're not using this blog as a forum to name the restaurant and bash it. Others would have. Thanks for showing us respect and class.

    ReplyDelete